Sunday, August 7, 2011

Settling In

June 8, 2011

I have been in Illinois for 1 week now. Before I left, Carly took my phone and set reminders/alarms daily for a straight week. Today’s message said “It’s been a week, this sucks.” To be honest, this week really has flown by and I haven’t been home sick at all. We have already done quite a bit here. Everything in the house is unpacked and put away where we want it. Well, mostly. We are living in 1200 square feet, so a lot of our stuff is actually packed in the garage. Anyway, everything is unpacked, we have been up to Champaign, Decatur, Lake Clinton and a few other surrounding areas. I feel like I am slowly getting used to the area. I initially had a difficult time differentiating north, south, east, and west. But today, I was able to get around fairly easy without thinking to hard about it, and without a map.

We made it to church up in Champaign this past Sunday. I knew going to church would make me feel at home. And it did. The building was the same as the buildings in Utah, the people dressed and acted the same. I thought being in Illinois I would however actually meet some Illinois members. Interestingly enough, everyone I talked to was a “Utah transplant”. I talked to about five people who were transferred to Illinois for work or other various reasons, all had been there for 1-5 years. They seemed like a pretty tight knit ward though. I think I will enjoy it, maybe not the half hour drive to church, but actually being there every week.

Van has been great through the move, probably because he is too young to understand or care that he is even in a different place. Charlee on the other hand has been a nightmare. She was potty trained when we left Utah, but so far being here it has been accident after accident. I finally got out of the house by myself today with the kids—we decided to go to the Monticello Aquatic Center. The kids loved it, they immediately ran into the water area and were playing with the kids. It wasn’t too long after being there (about an hour) when Charlee jumped out of the pool, ran to a chair with a towel on it (not ours) and jumped underneath it. When I approached her to tell her the towel and chair was not ours she exclaimed, “I pooped in the pool, mom!” So my next statement is… “Of course you did.” So that ended our fun at the pool.

Joel is having a blast at his new job. He says he actually “feels important.” I feel very happy for him. He really has busted his butt at school for the past five years. He has a desk, with a computer, and he is no longer the peon. It is so weird to be the one staying in bed after he leaves for work in the morning. Staying at home with the kids is something I know as a mother I should enjoy doing. My friend Carri is an awesome stay at home mother. She really does do a great job teaching and playing with her kids. I just feel like I am not very good at that. I am better at working. But then of course that is what I have been doing for the past five years. I don’t know, maybe this is just an adjustment that I will have to get better with and improve at. Either that, or I need to find a job. I would actually prefer the later suggestion. I guess all I can say is that I will take it day by day.








No comments:

Post a Comment