Sunday, April 28, 2013

Utah Trip

When we heard about Grandma Sherry passing away we immediately got in the car and decided we'd road trip it to Utah. When I say 'immediately' I mean that very literally. We'd been in a funk out here this winter. It's cold, windy and gray. I guess you might say Joel and I had the winter blues. This was the perfect opportunity to get a change of scenery and be with family during this sad time. We wanted to surprise our families back home and just sort of show up. Well, we drove about 4 hours before Sydney told us that the funeral was to be a week later. So, we turned around. Joel and I of course couldn't make that work with our jobs and etc. A week later we packed up the van and drove a straight 24 hours back home. With the exception of a 45 minute Pizza Hut break, and stops for gas, we were moving. We used Van's Fisher Price training potty while on the road. Mardi slept on the floor and Mom and Dad took turns sleeping on the floor too. The kids were fantastic! We were so happy with how things went with the travel.

I didn't know Grandma Sherry that well, but I can tell you from what I do know, she was an amazing woman. She wasn't the type of grandma that was sewing quilts or baking pies. She was the grandma that would curse if the meat was over cooked at dinner. She was the one that would yell at the kids to "knock it off". She had a sort of sour look to her. But deep down she was very genuine and loving. She adored watching her grandkids. Dallyn spent a lot of weekends and overnighters at her place. She was the rock to her family and always seemed to be the one holding everyone together. There was nothing phony about Grandma Sherry, she was real. She spoke from her heart, things weren't sugar coated. She will deeply be missed.

I wish I had a better picture of our family with her, but this will have to do. Halloween 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment