Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Sister Wife

When I lived with Rachel for 6 months in Salt Lake while going, to the University of Utah for one semester I feel like I got the chance to get another sister. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true. There are several distinct memories that I'll probably never forget from living with her and I will tell them now, in no particular order.

1) Elizabeth Smart (if you don't know who that is Google it), had been missing for 9 months. I happened to be home alone when our regular scheduled programming was interrupted by the news. They had found Elizabeth Smart, alive no less, and in Utah. I scrambled to the phone to let Rachel know the news. Incredible. For those of you who are reading this and think I'm a freak and wonder why I would write about this, well it's kind of like the saying, "Where were you and what were you doing when the planes hit the twin towers?" If I think about this story of Elizabeth Smart I think of immediately calling Rachel to tell her then news. And still to this day Rachel is probably one of the first people I think of calling when I need to 1) Complain about anything 2) Discuss my parenting skills 3) Discuss future "dream big" plans that will never happen but are fun to talk about 4) Let her know the most important news.

2) One time Joel came over to visit at our apartment. We had ordered pizza or something and were just starting to eat. Me, Joel and Rachel were the only ones home. I think Alex was working or something. Rachel offers Joel something to drink, he tells her he'll take a coke. She walks up to him, cracks open the can and pours it. Joel looks at me like, "Why don't you ever open my cans of soda?" It really made me look bad. I knew at that moment that I would never be as compassionate as Rachel. And that pretty much stands true to this day. There are times when I really do try to be more considerate and caring. Usually when I do, Joel will say something sarcastically like, "Ok, Rachel".

3) We had a Chemistry Class together in a large auditorium at the U. Our professor was some chic that must have been new or it must have been her first time teaching ever. On the first day of class, she stands at the front and asks everyone to please be seated, even though everyone is talking and no one can hear a thing she's saying. She then gets her microphone out and basically whispers timidly, "Is this microphone enhancing the sound of my voice?" Yeah, probably not very funny to you, dear reader, but hilarious between us. We also had a girl in our physiology class that we wanted to punch in the face on a daily basis for being so blonde. Can't remember her name but one quote in particular stuck with us for years and that is... "True that, thanks class."

Ok, so back from memory lane. This visit, I had a lot of fun with Rachel as usual. We got our hair and nails done at the beauty school. We also spent time giving Joel a pedicure. I've missed her a ton. I wish we could live closer together for the kids sake, and for the support in dealing with motherhood in general. We joke that we are sister wives. But if I tell people out here in Illinois that we are sister wives, they think we really are. Ask yourself right now, if you could have a sister wife, who would it be? Yeah, for me it would be Rachel.


No comments:

Post a Comment