Thursday, May 29, 2014

Elder Bednar

One thing I have yet to mention about the Mahomet Ward is that we happen to be in the same ward as Elder Bednar's son. We had the privilege of hearing he and his wife speak to us in Sacrament meeting two times. I had never heard an apostle speak in person and it's hard to explain the difference between hearing an apostle speak in General Conference vs in person but there IS a difference. I don't think I've ever been that early to Sacrament Meeting to ensure a seat, and I don't think I've ever listened so intently to every word spoken in a talk before. The messages that he gave will most likely stay engrained in my memory forever. One main thing he emphasized was the importance of reverence in Sacrament and from the moment forward I've never attended a more reverent congregation before and after the meeting. He said that there should be no mingling in the chapel. In 2001 Elder Bednar gave a devotional at BYU entitled 'In the strength of The Lord'- he based his talk in church on this devotional. The moment that will NEVER be forgotten is when Elder Bednar bore his testimony. He spoke directly to the women in the Mahomet ward. I listened as I sat on the front row within 2 feet of him. While I cannot recall his exact wording, and while I doubt I could even do justice in summarizing his testimony it is something that was truly FELT and KNOWN to be truth. When you hear an apostle bear his "apostolic witness that Christ lives", you can't help but feel the spirit so strong. I am truly grateful that I was able to hear him in person on these occasions. I doubt, if ever, I will be able to be part of such a unique, almost one on one encounter with an apostle.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool Sidney! We were lucky enough to have Elder Scott come to our stake a couple of years ago. For me it was nice to see that they are humans too and to see a lighter and more natural side of them. You are right about the Felt and Known part...it is something that I hopefully won't forget.

    ReplyDelete