Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sadie and Lucas

With everything that has gone on with Sydney and her placement of Sawyer, I can't help but thing of my amazing sister Sadie that went through the same thing back when she was just 16. I remember explaining to Carly how conception takes place. Even though she had just completed the 6th grade maturation program within the same month, she had absolutely NO idea how Sadie became pregnant. Did my mother explain anything to her? No. The discussion that took place was actually extremely amusing and I hope that I never forget how funny it really was. Carly and I were on the couch in the basement. I was asking her what she knew about conception. She told me that the video she'd watched at school showed a "needle going into a ball." (We think what she saw was a microscopic picture of the sperm and egg.)When I asked her what she thought the needle was she told me that she had no idea. After I presented a lot of thought provoking questions to her such as, "What does a boy have that a girl doesn't?" And, "What does a girl have that a boy doesn't?" And, "What do YOU think that ball and egg was?" And, "What if I told you that these two PARTS had to be combined to get the 'ball and needle' together. How do you think that happens?" Finally I let her have it. I discussed the entire process with her. The statements that followed had me laughing SO hard, I'll never forget it. She said, "How did he get it inside? Why would she let him do that to her. It just doesn't make sense how it would get in there like that." It was truly a funny moment I hope to never forget.

Anyway, not to make light of the situation, Sadie went through the same thing that Syd did at a younger age. I know it was tough for her, but now, 12 years later, with a lot of communication between her and Mindy (the adoptive mother) she has seen such positive things with Lucas. Lucas was born with albinism so his vision has been affected. He has to wear sunglasses and sunscreen all of the time. Because of this he's had some disadvantages, but overall he functions well. He also has wonderful siblings that have been adopted into his home. He is such a handsome boy and I love to see how he's grown. I just can't believe it's been 12 years already. It's insane.

My sister Sadie is a pretty cool person. I can't say that we were the best of friends growing up. I know I came close to pulling out her hair on several occasions. I know that the bathroom was the only safe place in the house because if you were being chased, and you needed refuge you could run in, shut the door and quickly throw open the drawer. The drawer prevented the door from opening all of the way and was often the only thing keeping us from killing each other. As the years have passed she has grown so much. I know she is a much more spiritual person than be because of what she's been though. It's taken her much longer to graduate from school and get things going in her life. But, she's done it!! She is an inspiration and I love her.



No comments:

Post a Comment